Saturday, August 17, 2013

Stylish and Functional Organizing Bins


My 8 year old daughter is a professional collector of just about everything she touches! She cannot seem to part with anything...everything is special in her eyes. I really do love that about her; it's just that it was all creating a fire hazard in her 10 x 10 bedroom! 

Notes from teachers, notes from friends, notes that I put in her lunch box. Lip gloss, finger nail polish, body sprays, body lotions, makeup. Jewelry, both real and plastic. Hair bows, ties, elastics, headbands. Gadgets, bouncy balls, sunglasses, flashlights, mini figurines, toys. Crafts she's made, crafts she hasn't finished, parts of crafts she can reuse, craft supplies. Recyclable materials to make (you guessed it) more CRAFTS! Crayons, markers, colored pencils, erasers, pencil sharpeners, notebooks, paper, yarn, material scraps, beads, buttons, and clay (Oh wait, I convinced her to throw that out since it was hard as a rock. She complied.) Get the picture?

So much was crammed into her room and something had to be done! We basically reorganized her entire bedroom. It took us the entire summer. I'll post about that huge undertaking later. I spent some time in there by myself (Shhh...don't tell her!) purging miscellaneous items before inviting her to help.   

We needed a space for all of her "little treasures" that would add to the room decor and be functional at the same time. So along with 3 bins she already had, we purchased 6 more bins from Five Below totaling $15, added homemade tags with pretty ribbons, and so far she has kept herself organized!


I made these tags using items that I already had in my craft area: scrapbook paper, card stock, glue stick, variety of ribbons, jewels, black Sharpie, scissors, glue gun.

I had two different sized tags which I used as templates to cut out all of the tags, attached them together with a glue stick to create a layered look, wrote the label with a Sharpie, used a glue gun to attach the jewel, and tied them onto the container with a ribbon.


 The labels we made were:
~hair
~makeup
~money
~jewelry
~electronics/flashlights
~trinkets
~toys/dolls
~keepsakes
~and gerbils (supplies for the gerbils;)

I love projects that we can do together! 

She chose the colors and patterns of paper and I cut the tags and glued them together.

She chose the color of jewel and where to place it and I used the glue gun. 

She chose the ribbon for each tag and I attached them.



I am so pleased with the completed project that sometimes when I'm passing her room, I open the door, take a quick peek, and smile!

No comments:

Post a Comment